iPhone Jailbreak redsn0w Walk-Through
First off this jailbreak does NOT support Apple A5 devices, the iPhone 4S and iPad 2. Devices supported by the redsn0w jailbreak are the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4 CDMA, iPad 1, iPod touch 3G, and iPod touch 4G. The jailbreak is untethered thanks to pod2g and his hard work. iPhone 4S and iPad 2 users hang tight as jailbreak developers are working on a jailbreak.
This jailbreak walk-through is for windows 7 PCs and iPhones running iOS 5.01. To check which version you’re iPhone is currently running, open the settings app -> general -> about and look for version.
This jailbreak like all the others is very simple, you can’t mess up your iPhone. It leaves everything on the iDevice / iPhone intact and installs the Cydia app, you won’t lose anything. The hardest part is getting your iPhone into DFU recovery mode. If you’ve never done this before, don’t worry it’s nothing more then a specific sequence of button holding and redsn0w will help you with the timing.
Ok let’s jailbreak your iPhone with redsn0w.
First download the redsn0w jailbreak application. DOWNLOAD
Extract the zip file, click the “Extract all files” button in the top left area of the window. Check “Show extracted files when complete” and click the “Extract” button.
Heads up before you click next, this is where redsn0w will look for your iPhone in DFU recovery mode and guide you into recovery mode. Be ready to put your iDevice / iPhone into DFU mode. Follow the instructions on the redsn0w application.
If you have any trouble getting your iPhone into DFU mode, here’s the run down.
- Make sure the device is plugged into your computer and POWERED OFF.
- Press and hold the power button for 3 seconds, while you’re holding the button you should see the Apple Logo appear.
- Continue to hold the power button and press and hold the Home button simultaneously for 10 seconds, the Apple Logo should disappear during this.
- Release the power button and continue to hold the Home button until your iPhone is in DFU mode. You should see your computer finding new hardware or iTunes finding your iPhone in DFU mode.
- If you mess up and don’t get into DFU mode the first time, just try again, close the redsn0w application and start over.
- If your iPhone gets stuck, press and hold the power and home buttons simultaneously until it restarts.
The iPhone should restart once complete, and that’s it. Check your iPhone for the Cydia App.